Solstice hike 2017
17th to 18th June 2017
(Ultra) Hiking around the Wörthersee, approx. 55 km / 1,600 metres cumulative elevation gain,
An extraordinary summer solstice experience!
We know from our memories of previous years what magical moments await us during the shortest night of the year along the Wörthersee hiking circuit. Will we have the perfect sunrise again this year?
- We set out on Saturday, 17th June 2017 (10 p.m.) from the music pavilion on the lakeside promenade in Pörtschach.
- From 8 p.m.: late registration is possible.
- From 9 p.m.: a ‘Sundowner’ drink for all participants.
- 9.30 p.m.: welcome, final briefing on the route, weather and procedure.
- The Wörthersee circuit will be followed in an anticlockwise direction. Start and finish at the music pavilion on the lakeside promenade in Pörtschach.
- All participants are free to walk at their own pace.
- You can accompany one of three experienced local hiking guides with predetermined destination times (14/15/16 hours’ walking time).
- The opening times of the 3 refreshment stops in Velden, at the Pyramidenkogel, and on the eastern bay in Klagenfurt are determined by walking times. The solstice hike is not a race. No finishing times or placings are recorded. Everyone is a winner competing against himself or herself.
- All participants receive a certificate of participation on arriving at the destination at the music pavilion on the lakeside promenade in Pörtschach (by 4 p.m.!). Arrival at the three refreshments stops in Velden, at the Pyramidenkogel, and on the eastern bay in Klagenfurt, will be recorded in the hiking pass. The certificate will record completion of the ‘entire course’ or ‘part of the course’, as appropriate. All finishers will receive a certificate at the destination!